Good morning, blog readers o’ mine.
I wanted to bring to your attention something that really kinda sucks.
It’s the Stop Online Piracy Act, also known as SOPA. Also known as the “Let’s Just Make The Internet Lame” Act.
Today, major websites like Wikipedia, Reddit, and Google, are blacking out in protest of the act that allows any government or copyright holders to obtain court orders they suspect of copyright infringement.
That’s right, all they have to do is suspect it.
I’m not going to try to explain it, partially because a friend of mine, Ryan, wrote one of the most straightforward explanations I’ve read so far. I cannot hope to compete with it. It’s long, but I really do encourage you to take a few minutes to read it.
If you don’t have a lot of time, let me quote my favorite part here:
“Basically, if SOPA were to pass and I were to post a link to a YouTube video of, say, The Humpty Dance I would be committing a felony. In the eyes of the courts, it’d be a crime on par with arson, kidnapping, murder, or rape.
Just to reiterate, if SOPA were to pass and I would post that link to The Humpty Dance:
* I’d be guilty of a felony for linking to that video.
* ZWR [Zoo With Roy] would be liable because he owns the site on which it was posted and as such be guilty of a felony and the copyright holder would instantly be allowed to shut down the site permanently.
* The company that hosts ZWR’s webservers is guilty of a felony for hosting the site.
* The guy that uploaded it to YouTube would have committed a felony by uploading it.
* YouTube is guilty of a felony for hosting it and/or not preventing it from being uploaded in the first place and, as such, could be shut down permanently.
* If ZWR were tweet the link to this post, Twitter would also be guilty of a felony and could also be shut-down because they (inadvertently) linked to this post.”
So please, sign a petition, write a letter or email, or give your representative a call. Tell them you don’t like SOPA. Tell them you don’t want to be charged for sharing a link. Tell them you want to continue laughing at humorous Photoshops.
And check out this infographic. It’s a good one.
Let’s do this, guys.
Keep eating, asking, and petitioning so I can keep doing my thing, my friends.